1. It’s free! Portobello Film Festival has been a free festival for the past 24 years.
2. This year’s theme is “music”. Come and check out live performances from JC Carroll (The Members), bohemian chanteuse Anne Pigalle, and local legends and Fall/Smiths alumni Blue Midnight.
3. It’s eclectic. There will also be movies about Steelpan, Carnival, Graham Parker, Clarence Clemmons, and local groups Rotten Hill Gang and The Golbournes. Plus, you get to see the latest in World cinema, with a focus on German, Spanish, and USA films. So if these things rock your boat, you’d be silly not to come.
4. It’s not ‘just’ films. Graffiti and Street art including State Of The Art, Pulse, and Ree 2 (the man who invented characters in New York in the early 70s) will appear at The Muse, 269 Portobello Road, from 5 September.
5. Buff up on local cinematic history, with a special show curated by local artist Constantine Gras taking place at the Gate Cinema on Saturday 7 September at 1pm.
Portobello Film Festival takes place 29 August – 15 September 2019. The main venues are Maxilla Social Club, under the Westway by Grenfell Tower, and Westbank Gallery, Thorpe Close between Ladbroke Grove and Portobello Road. Full programme of events here.
The Portobello Film and Arts Festival is a recipient of our inaugural Festival and Events Fund.
You might also like